This time of year evokes a number of senses, and the flavours and scents we fill our homes with are as much to do with loving autumn as wrapping a big blanket around ourselves.
While the sun might be going to bed earlier, there’s lots to be getting on with in the name of fun and food, especially where kids are concerned. To kick off our cold season, Halloween is about to take centre stage. So how can we make the most of getting children involved in the kitchen? By baking some sensational seasonal goodies, of course!
We’ve teamed up with Flora to bring you these easy but delicious pumpkin cookies and a step-by-step guide while you’re baking with your kids. These winter-warming flavours of ginger and cinnamon – and, pumpkin, of course! – are prefect for dishing up before or after a hard evening’s trick or treating!
Prep: 25mins Cook: 20mins Serves: 20 Skills: Easy
EASY PUMPKIN COOKIES RECIPE
125g (4oz) Flora Buttery
200g (7oz) caster sugar
0.5 tsp vanilla extract
1 medium egg
300g (10oz) plain flour
1 level tsp baking powder
1 pinch salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
0.5 tsp ground cardamom
150g (5oz) pumpkin ( grated )
2x baking trays
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan oven), gas mark 6 and line two trays with baking paper.
2. Mix the Flora, sugar, vanilla and egg until smooth.
3. Add the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cardamom. Stir well until combined.
4. Finally add the pumpkin and mix until just combined.
5. Using a tablespoon spoon the dough out onto the baking trays, leaving some space between each cookie in case they spread a little in the oven. Flatten each cookie slightly using your hand or a spoon.
5. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until light brown. Leave to cool on a wire rack before serving.
6. Decorate however you like – make spooky patterns or leave plain.
Happy Halloween everybody!
SPONSORED POST: This recipe is brought to you by Flora Buttery and the Yorkshire Pudd team. Here are some more Halloween ideas from Flora.