Salmon and prawn fish cakes with mango relish
Sparkling drink Shloer has teamed up with chef Phil Vickery to offer Yorkshire Pudd readers a selection of delicious recipes following the launch of www.enjoysundaylunch.com, a new website of inspirational recipes, top tips and offers, encouraging friends and family to get together and enjoy the most important meal of the week, Sunday lunch.
This week we share Phil’s recipe for salmon and prawn fish cakes with mango relish:
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
For the fishcakes:
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red pepper de seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 large potatoes, peeled, chopped and boiled
- 300g just cooked salmon, roughly flaked
- 100g frozen prawns, defrosted and finely chopped
- 2-3 tbsp dried breadcrumbs
- 1 medium egg white
- Freshly milled black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp flour
- Oil for cooking
For the salsa:
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and stoned, chopped into 1/2cm pieces
- 1/2 small red onion, very finely chopped
- 1 tsp vinegar (any variety)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper
- Pinch sugar
For the winter coleslaw:
- ¼ red cabbage finely sliced
- 1 medium carrot finely sliced
- ¼ Savoy cabbage finely sliced
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tsp vinegar
- Heat the 4 tbsp of oil in a pan and soften the onions, garlic and peppers for 10 minutes.
- Mash the cooked warm potatoes. Add the salmon and prawns to the warm potatoes with the breadcrumbs and egg white, then add the onions and peppers and mix well, but lightly. Season well with salt and pepper, add the 2 tbsp oil to moisten slightly. Place in fridge to chill.
- Meanwhile place the cabbages, carrots, mayo, vinegar, salt and pepper into a bowl and mix. The coleslaw will be quite tight but leave for 10-15 minutes and the mixture will soften nicely.
- Make up the quick salsa by placing all the ingredients into a bowl and mixing well.
- Once the fishcake mix is cold and firm form into a 12 small cakes.
- Heat a little vegetable oil in a non stick, oven proof frying pan, then dust the fish cakes in a little flour and cook for about 4-5 minutes. Turn over and finish for a further 4-5 minutes.
- Serve warm with the salsa and coleslaw.