Belted Galloway Pie for Great British Beef Week
A leading producer of handmade pies, Yorkshire Handmade Pies, is using the best sustainable Yorkshire ingredients, and is launching a Belted Galloway Pie, in time for Great British Beef Week (April 23rd-30th).
Yorkshire Handmade Pies make the Belted Galloway Pie with a winning combination of succulent Yorkshire heritage Belted Galloway beef, Shepherd’s Purse Buffalo Blue cheese and Black Sheep Brewery Riggwelter ale.
Slow-cooked with Henderson’s relish, mushrooms, beef stock and fresh herbs before encasing it in a crispy light pastry.
The award-winning British pie producer, which has a strong ethos on sustainability and provenance, is leading the change by choosing to celebrate British heritage beef.
Its new pie includes beef from Yorkshire Belted Galloway cattle – one of Britain’s oldest and purest native breeds.
All the Galloway beef is from one single farmer to ensure provenance.
Championing a true ‘farm to fork’ and ‘tail to nose’ philosophy, Yorkshire Handmade Pies ensure they use the whole cattle by additionally selling choice cuts such as sirloin, fillet, ribeye, and rump steaks that are leftover from the pies.
Putting quality local ingredients at the heart of its pies, Yorkshire Handmade Pies has additionally collaborated with two local Yorkshire food producers, situated within a 10-mile radius of its Ripon pie kitchen.
Buffalo Blue is a hand-made artisan cheese from award-winning Yorkshire cheese producer Shepherd’s Purse. It is a smooth, creamy blue made from the highest quality milk from a British single herd of water buffalo.
Riggwelter ale, from Yorkshire Brewery Black Sheep, takes its name from a local Yorkshire Dales farming term which has Nordic roots; ‘rygg;’ meaning back and ‘velte’ meaning to overturn.
A sheep is said to be ‘riggwelted’ when it has rolled onto its back and is unable to get back up without assistance! The ale has layers of chocolate and coffee with dark fruits and is a perfect companion to British beef.
James Sturdy, founder and MD of Yorkshire Handmade Pies said:
“Our pie has a real depth of flavour gained from the rich and hearty Belted Galloway beef. The Buffalo Blue cheese adds an interesting creamy dimension whilst adding a meaty umami flavour. In addition, the Riggwelter ale adds a fruity liquorice note – it’s a real belter of a pie!”
Sam Webster, Belted Galloway Beef Farmer said:
“Who can’t love a belty. Just the iconic markings, really do bring a smile to my face when I see one. The quality of the meat is unrivalled but to open our bedroom curtains in the morning and see belties grazing in front of the house is sure to make every day start with a smile.”
The Belted Galloway pie will be available to buy direct online from Yorkshire Handmade Pies from April.
About Yorkshire Handmade Pies
Yorkshire Handmade Pies is a family-run business based in Ripon, North Yorkshire, founded in 2010 by James Sturdy, who is passionate about using sustainable and local ingredients to create delicious pies.
They use only the finest quality ingredients, including free-range chicken, beef from local farmers, and fresh vegetables, made using traditional methods and cooked in a wood-fired oven. Yorkshire Handmade Pies is a popular choice for both locals and visitors to the area.
The pies are available to buy direct from the company’s website or several independent retailers.
About Great British Beef Week
Great British Beef Week is an annual event that celebrates the best of British beef, organised by the British Meat Processors Association it runs from April 23rd-30th 2023.
Several events and promotions will be taking place across the UK to raise awareness of British beef and its benefits.
Benefits of British Beef
British beef is a healthy and delicious choice. It is a good source of protein, iron, and zinc, low in fat and calories and produced to the highest standards of animal welfare and food safety.
It is a sustainable choice, produced in a way that minimises its environmental impact.
Here are some of the benefits of eating British beef:
- British beef is a good source of protein. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissues, and it also helps to keep you feeling full.
- British beef is a good source of iron. Iron is essential for carrying oxygen throughout the body, and it also helps to prevent anaemia.
- British beef is a good source of zinc. Zinc is essential for a healthy immune system, and it also helps to heal wounds and promote cell growth.
- British beef is low in fat and calories. British beef is lean meat, and it is a good choice for people who are trying to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight.
- British beef is produced to the highest standards of animal welfare. British farmers are committed to providing their animals with a good quality of life, and they are subject to strict animal welfare regulations.
- British beef is produced to the highest standards of food safety. British beef is inspected by government vets at every stage of production, and it is subject to strict food safety regulations.
- British beef is a sustainable choice. British farmers are committed to minimising the environmental impact of their beef production by working to reduce their carbon footprint.
If you are looking for a healthy, delicious, and sustainable choice of meat, British beef is a great option.