If there’s one foodie word I can think of to sum up January it would be: hearty.
There’s none of this light grub with zero calories. We need fuel. And that brings me nicely to what we really need to be eating in these wintry weeks, and that is, without doubt, breakfast.
It’s no wonder that the breakfast pioneers at Wake Up and Shake Up have made their annual Big Breakfast Awards in winter. Or that Breakfast Week is happening this month (25-31st January). It’s when we all need a reminder that a good, healthy and substantial brekkie is what will get you going on these chilly mornings.
While we will bring you news of the Best Breakfast Awards soon, today Chris and I are going to tell you where we think are the best places in Yorkshire for breakfast.
Now, we’re talking restaurants, cafes, farm shop here, not your grandma’s house or your conservatory. We’re also going to be limited to our own stomping grounds, because obviously we haven’t tried ever single breakfast place in the county. That’s where we need your help. We’ll tell you our favourites, and you tell us yours. That way we’re more likely to get a real picture of the very best of the best breakfasts in Yorkshire. Deal? OK let’s go:
- Brosters Farm Shop, Lindley Moor – outstanding value, produce, quality, portions and view out of the window
- Eric’s Restaurant, Huddersfield – the special event brunches are a total treat on a Saturday, if you can get a table
- The Terrace, Saltaire – a French twist in a Yorkshire village. Great prices and delicious food.
- The White Swan, Pickering – a totally local menu with the finest produce on its mouthwatering menu
- Fortunes Kipper Smokehouse, Whitby – go back to basics and try simply best kippers in Yorkshire by the sea
- Bolster Moor Farm Shop, Huddersfied – in the middle of nowhere, great breakfast and outstanding farm shop
- The Fleece Countryside Inn, Ripponden – they do an awesome Egg’s Benedict
- Malmaison Leeds – I’ve never actually had breakfast here but I have at the Malmaison in Edinburgh and it must be the same!
- Morrisons – OK, not the height of glam but sometimes you just need to kill two birds with one stone and for that reason the supermarket chain gets a spot in my five!
- La Luna, Halifax – I’ve met with friends so many times here for breakfast meetings
If you think your eatery dishes out the best breakfast in Yorkshire, and you’d like to invite Yorkshire Pudd along to help get the word out, email us at email@example.com
Win a spa break for two
The campaigners at Shake Up Your Wake Up are running a giveaway during #BreakfastWeek and you could be in with a chance to win a spa break for two. All you have to do is share your favourite breakfast moments showing what breakfast means to you. The prize draw runs until January 31st. Find more details at www.shakeupyourwakeup.com