The comfort dish with a kick
This is a more Moroccan take on shakshuka but with the added anti-inflammatory spice – turmeric.
Shakshuka always includes chilli, but this is a comfort dish with extra spices so you have a rich tomato sauce with more complex flavour and the benefits of turmeric.
Enjoy with The Food Doctor’s turmeric or original toasted pitta bread.
Prep Time: 10 minutes, Cook Time: 10 minutes, Serves 2
- 4-6 Clarence Court hens’ eggs
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp harissa paste
- 2 tsp chilli flakes (optional, the harissa has chilli in too)
- 2 red peppers, sliced (optional)
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 tins cherry tomatoes
- Splash of balsamic vinegar
- Splash of maple syrup
- Parsley and coriander, roughly chopped
- The Food Doctor turmeric or original pitta
- Add the red onions olive oil and spices to the pan and cook slowly for about 10 mins till the onion has softened and the spices are aromatic.
- Add the peppers if using and garlic cloves and toss in the spiced oil.
- After another few minutes tip both tins of cherry tomatoes into the pan, add the vinegar and maple syrup and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer gently for 15 mins.
- Taste and add more harissa or chilli if needed, remove the garlic cloves.
- Make a small dent in the sauce and break the eggs into them. Season each egg generously with salt and black pepper.
- Turn the heat right down as low as possible on your smallest burner and cover the pan tightly.
- Continue to cook for 7 to 10 mins until eggs are just set.
- Sprinkle generously with parsley and coriander and serve with The Food Doctor turmeric or original pitta.