Healthy vegetable braised rice
Sparkling drink Shloer has teamed up with chef Phil Vickery to offer Yorkshire Pudd readers a selection of delicious recipes following the launch of www.enjoysundaylunch.com, a new website of inspirational recipes, top tips and offers, encouraging friends and family to get together and enjoy the most important meal of the week – Sunday lunch.
This week we share Phil’s recipe for mixed vegetable braised rice with olive oil and honey:
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 medium courgettes, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 350g long grain rice
- 150g frozen peas
- Approx. 600mls boiling water
- 2 vegetable stock cubes, crumbled
- Pinch of salt
- Course ground black pepper
- 1 x 50g bag baby spinach leaves
- 1 large bunch of fresh parsley, chopped roughly
- 150g thick Greek yoghurt
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6.
- Heat the oil, and then add all the vegetables apart from the spinach and the peas. Cook for 10 minutes and then add the paprika, cumin and tomato puree mix well. Next add the rice and peas and coat well.
- Add the boiling water, stock cubes, a little salt and pepper and mix well. Bring back to the boil, cover with a tight fitting lid and then pop into the oven. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, remove the lid and fluff up well with a fork. You may need to add a little more oil. Add the spinach and parsley then mix well, cover and leave for 10 minutes.
- Serve with a little thick natural yogurt, chopped fresh mint and drizzle of honey.